WebClick Tracer

‘No permit, no travel’ for minors in GenSan pushed

Parents and adults traveling with minors may soon be required to show “proof” of their parental relationship or guardianship before they can be allowed to travel outside of General Santos City.

City Councilor Maria Lourdes Casabuena filed a proposed ordinance requiring minor residents of the city aged below 18 years old to secure a permit to travel outside of the city from authorities before they’ll be allowed to board public transportations.

The proposed measure explained that the permit to travel is required to protect the child from abuse and exploitation; prevent child trafficking; ensure that the traveling companion is duly authorized and can look after the welfare of the minor.

It said parents shall secure the permit to travel from the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) upon submission of the documentary requirements.

For child passengers in a private vehicle, accompanying adults are also required to show proof, such as birth certificate, passport, or medical certificate to police checkpoints.

“When a child passenger in the preceding section is found to be without the requisite permit/birth certificate, the child shall not be allowed to travel and shall be referred to the City Social Welfare and Development Office,” the proposed ordinance stated.

The proposed ordinance also mandated terminal officials and personnel and employees of common carriers to exercise extraordinary diligence in ensuring that only a child with necessary travel documents be allowed to travel.

Any person or organization who violated the ordinance shall stand to pay a fine of not exceeding P5,000, the measure added.

Top Stories on POLITIKO.COM.PH