WebClick Tracer

No rush? GenSan council yet to probe alleged P100-M El Niño aid mess

The Sangguniang Panlungsod of General Santos City has yet to schedule its inquiry into the alleged anomalies in the distribution of P100 million cash assistance to farmers and fishermen affected by the onslaught of the El Niño phenomenon in the city.

Last week, City Councilor Froebel Kan Balleque claimed that he received complaints that the assistance were distributed to individuals who were not recipients of the cash aid. He said there were also complaints of favoritism, and allegations that some village officials have included unqualified individuals among the beneficiaries.

The city council has directed the committee on agriculture and the committee on social services to look into the matter.

But SP committee on agriculture chairperson Councilor Richard Atendido said on Monday that they have yet to set the schedule for the joint hearing.

Meanwhile, some opposition councilors likened the inquiry as a mere “moro-moro” meant to salvage the political image of the Pacquiao administration. “Baka hindi na iyan i-hearing. Sila man ang chair. Kaalyado ng administrasyon. Ano pa ang asahan mo diyan,” one city councilor quipped.

#

More stories in POLITIKO MINDANAO
Top Stories on POLITIKO.COM.PH